TT No.93: Mike Latham - Sat 2 February 2013: Anglesey League (2pm k-o): CPD Aberffraw 1-2 Pentraeth; Attendance: 70 (h/c); Admn by donation, no programme; FGIF Match Rating: 3*.



Matchday images (20)


Trusty frost-free Anglesey came up trumps again with an enjoyable game on a bitterly cold afternoon. After a week of heavy rain a deep frost settled over Scotland overnight, scuppering any hopes I harboured of risking a game in the Scottish Junior Cup, my favourite football competition. This proved to be a wise move as only a handful of games were played.


Instead I journeyed along the increasingly familiar A55 route towards Anglesey. Itís possible to reach the island from my house, a journey of just over 100 miles, without going through a set of traffic lights. Anglesey League leaders Pentraeth were the visitors to Aberffraw, aiming to maintain their 100pc league record in this, their fifteenth league fixture of the season.


One thing Iíve learned about Welsh football is to always expect the unexpected. The theory was proven yet again. Aberffraw is a small community on the south west coast of the island and was once the capital of the Kingdom of Gwynedd. The village has a sandy beach, and is on the Anglesey Coastal Path. Please donít tell my dogs, as with the prospect of a double-header I left them at home contented (hopefully) with a long early morning walk around Rivington.


But CPD Aberffraw, re-formed in 2008 and who moved up to Saturday football two years later, donít actually play in the village. Instead, home is in the small settlement of Ty Croes, which is a station on the main line between Crewe and Holyhead. Itís within easy reach off J6 of the A55. The ground is a community sports field known as Parc Cynlas. There is plenty of parking and there are great views of the distant mountains of Snowdonia. Banking along both sides affords good views and there is some changing accommodation. One of the home subs came amongst the crowd with a bucket collection.


Pentraeth struggled to overcome a stubborn home side in a highly competitive game that saw around eight yellow cards being issued. The referee had his work cut out but managed to maintain a good level of authority and his decision making was clear. It canít have helped him that the away sideís most influential player was wearing no number on his shirt. The missing number 8 looked an experienced player who I suspect has played at a higher level. Either way, he was a class act and probably the difference between the sides.


Aberffraw, known locally as the ĎBerffroí started well. They had a dangerous lone striker who ran himself into the ground. His persistence was rewarded when he fastened onto a long punt from his goalkeeper and finished with aplomb. Pentraeth fought back with a penalty and a decisive finish from a free-kick, either side of the half-time whistle and just about shaded a highly competitive game that held the interest to the end. 


It was a short journey back down the A55...continued in TT1213094.htm   


contributed on 02/02/13